For more information, please see our FAQ.
General Information About MDPI’s Article Processing Charges (APC)
MDPI posts all its journals in complete access that is open meaning limitless use and reuse of articles, as well as providing credit towards the authors. All our articles are posted under A commons that is creative(cc) permit.
Writers spend an one-time article processing Charge (APC) to pay for the expense of peer review management and administration, expert creation of articles in PDF and other platforms, and dissemination of posted documents in several venues, as well as other publishing functions. There are not any prices for rejected articles, no distribution fees, with no surcharges on the basis of the amount of a write-up, numbers or supplementary information. Some things (Editorials, Corrections, Addendums, Retractions, responses, etc. ) are posted totally free.
The following is a breakdown of exactly how our APCs are utilized. An organization that promotes sustainable and transparent scholarly open access publishing in calculating these values, we have followed recommendations from the Fair Open Access Alliance. And also this makes MDPI completely compliant because of the needs of Arrange S, a funder that is key to market Open Access.
1. Publishing Operations & Projects
MDPI develops and maintains its very own electronic distribution and peer-review internet site. We also operate a few platforms to supply different sorts of solutions for scholars.
- Preprints.org: a preprint that is multidisciplinary where writers can publish their articles totally free.
- Scilit.net: an extensive, free database for researchers utilizing a unique way to collate information and indexing systematic product.
- Sciforum.org: an event-planning platform that supports science that is open offering the chance to host and be involved in scholastic seminars.
- Sciprofiles.com: a researcher-profile platform.
2. Journal publication
- Triaging—Filtering of documents upon distribution by interior editorial and staff board users.
- Organization of peer-review—MDPI provides a degree that is high of to Academic Editors in order to only concentrate on editorial decisions. We use in-house editors to ask reviewers, gather review reports, communicate with authors and reviewers, correspond with authors about modification, etc. )
- Production—including copy-editing, typesetting, copy-editing XML and PDF transformation, and language modifying. MDPI provides English modifying by indigenous English speakers for many accepted documents, within the APC.
- Proofreading—Corresponding with authors to accept the ultimate text and asking for any lacking information.
- Other Editorial assistance—Handling any concerns and demands for help before distribution, throughout the editorial and peer-review procedure, or post-publication.
- Journal management & development—The in-house Editors that is managing track performance indicators of every log, monitor competing journals together with styles within the industry. Additionally they offer reports and hold conversations aided by the Editor-in-Chief together with Editorial Board. )
- Indexing & archiving—MDPI has a group aimed at indexing relations who advise regarding the eligibility of the log for application become indexed in over 80 databases. All of us communicate closely with all the contact individuals during the various databases and accept regular updates in the status of applications. We dedicate time for you to keep ourselves as much as date on any noticeable alterations in the evaluation requirements or application procedure.
- Long haul preservation—MDPwe supports long-lasting preservation of all of the its articles in CLOCKSS.
3. Editorial Costs
4. Marketing and Communication
MDPI allocates element of its income to your advertising of journals and articles through sponsorships of seminars, scholarly society events, along with other promotional tasks, also a group of prizes to aid scientists.
- Management & management includes expense pertaining to salaries of non-editorial staff as well as other company expenses. They include all of the costs compensated by MDPI for membership in publishing businesses: STM Association, OASPA, SSP, along with solutions such as Publons. Many account charges are derived from the amount of earnings or size regarding the publisher.
- MDPI supports those activities of this MDPI Sustainability Foundation, including coordinating the global World Sustainability Forum and World Sustainability Awards.
- MDPI is really a debt-free business and it is maybe perhaps maybe not repaying loans or assets.
6. Discounts and waivers
MDPI waives 25percent–27% of its content each year. We’re dedicated to giving support to the change of most research to complete available access, so provide APC waivers or discounts with a writers. In addition, we waive and supply discounts from 15% (associated with the total APCs in a log) within our many founded journals as much as 100per cent within our brand brand new journals or humanities journals. Although we display an APC on the site, in a lot of social sciences and humanities journals we waive between 70% and 100% of documents; we show an APC so that you can show writers that there’s a price to book. Also a few of our more developed journals that are indexed 30% of publishing expenses each year.
People in communities affiliated to an MDPI journal take advantage of a price reduction in addition to writers affiliated to organizations taking part in our Open Access that is institutional Program.
For journals in industries with lower levels of capital, where writers typically would not have funds available, APCs are generally cross-subsidized and waived from areas for which more APC funding is available. For writers from low- and middle-income nations, waivers or discounts can be issued on a basis that is case-by-case. Applications submitted before article distribution are examined because of the Editor that is managing based the standard of the investigation article therefore the writers’ ability to pay for.